Brent Logo

Our History

Bishop Brent pictureCharles Henry Brent, our school's founder, was born in Canada in 1862. After his ordination in the Anglican Church of Canada, he moved to the United States and in 1901 was elected Missionary Bishop of the Philippines for the Protestant Episcopal Church.

The Bishop founded Brent School Baguio in 1909. Originally a boarding school for the sons of American families stationed in the Philippines, more than one hundred years later the original Brent School in Baguio is currently a co–educational boarding and day school with and international student population.

In 1984, the Board of Trustees of Brent School established Brent International School Manila in Pasig, Metro Manila. This second Brent school assumed the traditions, the style, and the educational system of its mother school and graduated its first twelve students in 1986. In 1994, the Board of Trustees accepted an invitation from the Chairman of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority to open a third Brent school in Subic for children of foreign investors and those of the local community. In 1997 the three schools were incorporated separately, and each now has its own Board of Trustees under the Corporation. (Locate the tab “Other Brent Schools” to view the websites for Baguio and Subic.)

Bishop Brent statue pictureAlso in 1997, Brent International School Manila began construction of a new campus in Mamplasan, Biñan, south of Manila and Alabang. The campus, with a capacity for 1,500 students, was opened in 1999. The Pasig campus was closed at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. Brent International School Manila operates out of the Mamplasan, Biñan campus but also runs the satellite school for elementary students on the International Rice Research Institute compound in Los Baños.

Our rich past has deep meaning today, symbolically and in practice. Brent invites students from all religious faiths and backgrounds, and provides a quality Western-style education in a nurturing atmosphere of acceptance and tolerance. Our positive sense of community, and ability to support students in mind, body and spirit, is proudly traced to our unique inception in 1909.

 

 

 

 

 

This page was last modified on Thursday, December 08, 2011, 3:28:09 AM